WHAT IS THEMATIC APPERCEPTION TEST?
Thematic Apperception Test is a very effective technique used by the psychologist to examine the candidate for the three attributes of psychology i.e. perception, cognition and behavior. Based on this examination psychologist gets to know a great deal of candidate's personality. The intention behind this test is to ask the candidate to give an appreciation of his own qualities without being conscious and that to in a given time constraint.
WHAT TO DO IN THEMATIC APPERCEPTION TEST?
TAT consists of series of 12 pictures which are shown to the candidate on the projector. Every picture shown has a situation which gives the base of form the story. Here, story is the candidate's reaction in the form of thoughts to that particular environment.
So, a candidate is expected to imagine a picture & frame a story on his own.
A candidate is required to write a story on the following points:
a) What has led to the situation.
b) What are the characters thinking and feeling.
c) Current action going in the picture.
d) Finally, the outcome of the story.
Total time duration for TAT is 60 minutes.
Time for projection of each picture is 30 seconds and 4 minutes for writing the story.
Total 12 pictures are projected out of which “11 pictures will be THEME BASED but the 12th one will appear BLANK (virtual story).
Candidates should not delay in writing a story as there exist no time gap between the pictures and writing the story. Once, the 30 seconds are over, candidate should start in writing the story.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR TAT-
- Candidates must choose a positive hero who is enterprising, socialable, responsible and optimistic.
- The hero must be of the same sex and whenever possible of same age as of a candidate.
- Do not forget to name the hero. Name should be short, sweet and meaningful.
- Avoid scenario of sadness, defeat and war etc. Rather candidates must frame a positive story (With happy ending).
- Total time duration for TAT is 60 min.
- Time for projection of each picture is 30 sec and 4 min for writing the story.
- Total 12 pictures are projected out of which “11 pictures + one blank picture (virtual story).
- Candidates should not delay in writing a story as there exist no time gap between the pictures and writing the story. Once, the 30 seconds are over, candidate should start in writing the story.
Tips to frame a virtual story from a blank (12th ) slide.
In this, a candidate is required to frame a story on his own on the theme of the immediately preceding picture.
1. First of all, observe the slides carefully and identify the story or theme behind it.
2. Then try to think of the identical stories that contain all the elements in the projected pictures.
3. Make points on those lines and arrange them into sentences.
4. Finally, frame a short story with higher relevancy.
We are providing Some Sample TAT Stories but candidates must practice more in order to expertise themselves in this test.
Candidates can practise Thematic Apperception Test on their own with the help of the video given below.