Group Discussion is the first indoor task in the various GTO tasks. It is an informal discussion in the formal occasion .A group discussion in GTO is of two types-
Group Discussion No.1:
For the First Group Discussion a group is given 2 topics out of which one topic is chosen for the discussion. For doing so a group is given approx 15-30 Seconds time.Once the topic is decided then GTO will Repeat the same topic and will ask the group to discuss for approximately 10-15 Minutes and thereafter GTO will interrupt a group saying that "it was a nice discussion" even if the group members were creating a chaotic scenario .
Group Discussion No.2:
After the First GD, the group will be given another topic for Discussion but remember this time the GTO gives no choice. The topic will be decided by the GTO himself keeping in view the performance of the group in the first GD. Again the group will discuss it for approximately 10- 15 Minutes.Thus, the motive behind for conducting a group discussion is to check: -
- How a candidate behaves, participate and contribute in a group?
- How much importance a candidate gives to the group objective as well as his own?
- How well does a candidate listen to the view points of his team members?
- How open-minded a candidate is in accepting views contrary to his own?
Thus, Group discussion helps the candidate to know his group mates, which gives a clear insight of them. Moreover, it helps the Group Testing Officer in analyzing and assessing following enlisted FOUR personalities traits of the candidate: -INTELLIGENCE, INTERPERSONAL SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE & COMMUNICATION SKILLS.
SEATING ARRANGEMENT IN A GROUP DISCUSSION.
In GD a group of 8 to 10 candidates are made to sit in a full circle and an opportunity is given to have an informal discussion on the topics for approximately 10-15 minutes. Here the group discussion is of 'Topic Based' type. The topics covered are of factual and controversial types.
The groups need not to arrive at any conclusion in a GD.
Points to be kept in mind while participating in a-GROUP DISCUSSION
- A candidate should have adequate subject matter; for that he should be well aware of the latest happenings in the world.
- Reading: Reading not only adds to a candidate’s knowledge database but enhances his vocabulary and skills as well.
- For doing so, a candidate must choose magazines that are rich in content.
- He should be aware of the topics that are repeated.
- Communication skills: Prior to the actual GD a candidate must rehearse well to improve his communication skills. For doing so, he can sit with a group of friends and choose a topic for discussing in a friendly manner.
- This will not only increase the knowledge of a candidate but at the same time he will be a better speaker too.
- Listening skills: Just speaking throughout the discussion doesn't make a candidate smart. He must give chance to his group members as well. Monotony is not good.
- Conclusion: A candidate needs not to arrive at any kind of conclusion. He must discuss well and remain neutral to take an edge over others.
1. GROUP DISCUSSION
2. GROUP PLANNING EXERCISE
3. PROGRESSIVE GROUP TASK
4. HALF GROUP TASKS
5. COMMAND TASK
7. INDIVIDUAL OBSTACLES
8. GROUP OBSTACLE RACE/ SNAK RACE
9. FINAL GROUP TASKS
Besides discussion, GTO also observes the body language of the candidate. Also, it is suggested candidate must always try to be the first and also the last one to speak in a Group Discussion.